Nine Hungarian universities have been included in this year's Shanghai Ranking by academic subjects, published this summer. ELTE has achieved the best result among Hungarian universities, because it has been ranked among the best higher education institutions in the world in nine academic subjects.
The Shanghai Ranking Consultancy – which is the official publisher of the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), commonly known as the Shanghai Ranking – also publishes the Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (GRAS). First published in 2017, GRAS ranks universities around the world in 54 academic subjects across five major fields:
- natural sciences,
- life sciences,
- medical sciences,
- and social sciences,
based on five indicators.
These indicators are:
- number of scientific publications,
- ratio of citation,
- ratio of papers co-published with a foreign co-author,
- number of papers published in top scientific journals or presented at high-level conferences,
- number of staff members winning prestigious academic awards.
More than 1,800 out of 5,000 universities across 96 countries were listed in this year’s ranking. Nine Hungarian universities were included in the lists of different subjects. From Hungary, Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE) was ranked in most disciplines, as being listed in nine subjects:
- atmospheric sciences,
- political science,
- public health,
The building of the Faculty of Law of ELTE (Photo:123rf)
ELTE was ranked
- 101–150th in physics,
- 201–300th in mathematics and psychology,
- 301–400th in biology, atmospheric science, and political science,
- and 401–500th in public health, education, and ecology.
ELTE was followed by Semmelweis University, which was ranked in six subjects:
- clinical medicine,
- dentistry & oral sciences,
- pharmacy & pharmaceutical sciences,
- medical technology,
- biological sciences,
- human biological sciences.
The University of Szeged came in third place, after being ranked in three subjects:
- clinical medicine,
- pharmacy & pharmaceutical sciences.
The Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME), the University of Debrecen (DE), the Corvinus University of Budapest and the University of Pécs (PTE) were ranked in two subjects, while Hungarian University of Agriculture and Life Sciences (MATE) and the University of Veterinary Medicine were listed in one subject (veterinary sciences).